Monday, February 7, 2011

"Slightly Overexposed"

Yes, that's a dig at BYT. Not that I have a beef with BYT on a personal tip but honestly I think there are probably better things for me to be doing with my time than cruising a website full of gossip, trendwave bands, and lists of things that are hip on the internet today. Far be it from me to tell anyone else how to live, but if I'm distracted by things like this (yes, yes I am) then someone else probably is, too. The problem with this isn't that BYT or sites like it exist, but that they become overwhelming at times.

Which brings me to my main point here: there is so much information flying at us these days, it's tough to filter out what's important and what's not. BYT may or may not be (depends a lot on the consumer) but universally, very little information is of top priority for everyone. So we're faced with a decision of what information to consume, how often, and from which sources. Everything is information - whether you watch The Simpsons or The Daily Show, you're consuming information at the cost of consuming different, potentially more beneficial information.

So, we've got this constant barrage of information coming at us from all angles. That's fine. It's one thing to prioritize more input than you can reasonably consume - but it's another thing to digest it, compact it, and re-purpose it usefully. What am I reasonably going to do with the knowledge of half of the script of The Big Lebowski on a daily basis, let alone in my professional life? Nothing. But I know it. And instead of remembering something useful, like my checking account number, I can tell you that Bunny Lebowski says "If Brandt wants to watch, he has to pay $100".

We're overstimulated and arguably under-using (usefully) most of the information we're taking in. One of my 2011 Resolutions is to 1. be more selective about what I consume (on a conscious level) and 2. repurpose this hopefully-useful information towards my career goal (international science policy).

Thus far, things are going well. I've established good rapport with my Macroeconomics professor by sharing web articles related to class materials, and progressed in my gains of a solid knowledge foundation in macro. I've also learned a lot more about men's style and fashion, and in the process begun to develop my own particular sprezzatura.

No comments:

Post a Comment