Tuesday, March 30, 2010

DC is Not a Cold, Dead Place

Last month, I wrote a 4-page diatribe about how and why the scene in DC is awful. My opinions haven't changed, but my belief that anyone would actually read all of that garbage has. Here's what it boils down to:

1. Most young people in DC aren't here for a long time. They know this city is temporary for them and they don't intend to make roots that they'll just have to pull up in a few years. These people are of the age you'd typically find musicians who are "keeping the dream alive"

2. DC is a political hub but not a cultural center. Yes, we have museums and theaters and all of that nice stuff, but it's only by virtue of the fact that we are the national capital. Nothing culturally significant comes to DC to stand out in the competitive crowd.

3. If you're in politics, you probably weren't the music geek in high school. Politics revolves around popularity, and music does not. Most people who live here are involved in politics, and by the same association, don't care much to support a local scene.

There are good venues for local bands in this town (The Red & The Black, Velvet Lounge, Black Cat, Solly's) but I just don't see a lot of shows. It sucks, because I would love to see/support more local music. Luckily, I have enough friends into enough different kinds of music and the means to travel out of here to see great acts that simply aren't compelled to play in the area.

Yes, I kind of ripped off my title from Explosions in the Sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment