Tuesday, March 30, 2010

RX Bandits Interview Me

This is a continuation of an interview I did with the venerable RX Bandits for Dying Scene. We didn't run it on the site but here it is. Enjoy.

CV: Do you guys have any questions for me?

Steve Choi (gutar, keys, vox for RXB): Are you from DC?

CV: No, I’m from Detroit.

SC: Is that why you’re wearing a Tigers hat?

CV: That’s a lot of it.

SC: But you live here now?

CV: I do. I live in DC and I work in Virginia.

SC: Do you go to school?

CV: Nope, I graduated in 2008.

SC: What do you do?

CV: I’m a patent application examiner.

SC: So people submit their patent applications and you decide literally whether it’s valid or not?

CV: Yeah – there’s some oversight on my end but that’s the gist of it.

SC: That’s an interesting job.

CV: It’s never boring, never the same day twice.

SC: Would you say that in this day and age it’s harder to get a patent than before?

CV: Yes, because there’s so much that’s already patented and it’s so accessible. I have access to anything that was patented from when the Patent Office first opened to anything that was issued yesterday.

SC: Have you approved anything that’s gotten popular?

CV: I haven’t approved any applications yet, so no. But I’ve only been working there for 9 months.

Chase Ortega [RX Bandits’ Tour Manager]: What’s your favorite patent?

CV: The one for Kermit the Frog. Actually, it’s for all the Muppets but it has a picture of Kermit the Frog on it.

SC: That’s pretty cool. I love the Muppets.

CV: It would be tough to find someone who doesn’t, I think.

Thanks to Dem RX Bandits (Steve and Chris Tsagakis) for the interview, to Cathy Pellow and Chase Ortega at their label (Sergeant House Records) for setting it up, and Dave at DyingScene for risking his good name by letting me do the interview on the site's behalf.

Update!! -  The full interview is available here and the photos from the show are up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment